Monday, May 30, 2011

who am i? (said in the voice of derek zoolander)

so as far as i've been concerned, i've always thought of myself as chinese since this is what my father told me growing up.  usually people think i'm half but i assure them i am full chinese cause daddy said so.  well it didn't occur to me until i was at tu duc's temple back in vietnam (in hue) that my grandma's name is indeed tu thi nguyen.  yea...i know.  without a DOUBT that is a vietnamese last name...and yes it took me a while to put two and two together.

trust me when i tell you i've questioned my father in the past...'are you positive i'm 100% chinese?  no one is 100% anything these days.  you can't tell me there isn't another ounce of something else asian within our family?' the answer has always been no!! you are 100%!  well i don't think daddy's right.  i mean everywhere in vietnam, people mistook me for vietnamese and started jabbering in it until i politely said 'i speak english' with a smile.  and now in the philippines, everyone thinks i'm filipina but i think my tan is just deceptive.  anyway, i just thought i'd throw that out there.  i'm having a little talk with daddy bee when i get home...

2 comments:

  1. Your post is so true! I, until my dad past a couple of years ago, thought that I was 100% Vietnamese. I found out from my family on my Dad's side that I am 1/4 White Thai.. It's interesting that we believe what we are told until we dig a little deeper... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that is awesome! gotta keep asking those questions :)

    ReplyDelete