Tuesday, August 23, 2011

blueberry crumb bars

blueberries are definitely one of my favorite fruits so when i got back from traveling, i knew i had to take advantage of the season.  in corvallis, i usually hit up blueberry meadows for some u-pick action because 1. it's cheaper and 2. i can eat them as i pick.  win-win!

my co-workers have always told me how detail oriented i am but i didn't really see it until i went blueberry picking.  it took me a while to pick the 10 pounds i ended up with because i don't just pick any berry!  it's gotta be big and sweet.  who wants to eat an unripe one?  anyway, when i was done, the lady looked at me and say, 'you are very diligent!' and that's when it dawned on me, and it took blueberry picking to figure that out.  

ok back from tangent.  first i wanted to make a pie, then i started looking at some recipes online and got inspired by the one i found on smitten kitchen (link here).  i think the pictures are what got me (along with how incredibly easy and quick it is).  anyway, i followed the recipe and it turned out great!  my mom even asked for the recipe and mama bee is usually not into sweets.  there are some things i'd change up next time.  i think i'll use half butter and half apple sauce to cut down on fat.  i'm also going to try baking the bottom crust layer for a few minutes first before adding on the other layers to get it crunchier.  this recipe is also awesome because you can make it pretty much with any fruit!  i think a peach blueberry combo would be awesome :)

it's all about the layers




No comments:

Post a Comment